We are living in interesting times! That is definitely one way to look at the news. I don’t like most of what I see and hear. AND, I am not getting my way with most things, but I will concede– the news is not boring. Alarming, yes. Boring, no. And, when I am just doing things, I am trying to STOP taking everything personally. The problem is – at home in the South, I was TRAINED to take everything personally. (Sigh). That habit is not an easy one to break – try as I might. Sometimes, I succeed. Sometimes, I don’t. But, it doesn’t’ matter because people all over the WORLD take things personally – college students in Madison, Wisconsin; lawyers in Los Angeles; the French; the British, the Canadians; the Germans. Regardless of whether it is meant to be personal or not.
But I digress…. I also oftentimes say one thing and do another. (Sigh) But, for now, I have stopped trying to do the right thing. There is no right thing. I am looking out for myself. If others think I am not keeping my word, so be it. I struggle with living over here in France by myself and sometimes that means breaking my word that I gave with good intentions at the time.
That said, I have 22 days to go until I head “home” – to Paris. That is where I plan to stay – unless I change my mind. Haha. Frankly, I am filled with a combination of terror and anticipation – which brings me back to the beginning: “I am living in interesting times!” And, my personal terror is far worse than my global terror. Expectations and reality are probably going to collide in a massive crash!! Haha. That is one way to lessen the global terror.
I just wish that I were a tad younger with more energy) and a quicker step. Oh, well. If wishes were horses, we’d all take a ride. (Thank you, Daddy!) Coulda, woulda, shoulda. (Thank you, Steve!) Alas and Alack. Oh, dear me. The sky is falling in!! (Henny Penny – remember?) Well, hey! if one does something that is out of the ordinary, it all boils down to resiliency. And, it is not every day that a woman alone in her 80’s moves to Paris! Haha. That is funny!
At this point, I am in a holding pattern with not a lot left to do. I have done most of the groundwork and preparation. Now, the execution. I have simplified the simple. I have downsized the downsize. Help! I have thrown the baby out with the bathwater. I am down to bare bones. Literally and figuratively, I have lost my appetite. What??????
I am looking forward with glee. What am I looking forward to, you ask?
- Being in the City where I have always wanted to be (I don’t know why?)
- Being in a café society at a time in my life when I can no longer do sports
- Meeting interesting people who accept me at my age and don’t treat me like I don’t have any sense
- Having shops that sell what I want
- Finding good doctors that (hopefully) know what they are doing
- Going to museums and sitting for a while
- Listening to good music in a cabaret
- Going to more good theatre
- Dining with people I already know in Paris in good restaurants
- Having more energy
- Singing, no matter what it sounds like
- Getting an agent and new headshots
- Learning how to use the buses and the metro
- Being called an American Expat in Paris
- Getting an apartment with trees outside the window
- Finding a retirement community for when I get older
- Meeting someone to spend time with
- Learning to cook simple French meals and good pasta
- Possibly looking for a meet-up, focusing on Photography or Classical Piano.
- Getting back in fashion somewhat
- Getting my Steinway fixed
- Moving to a better neighborhood
- Selling Steve’s N-Scale USA trains
- Learning how to use Steve’s Digital Panasonic camera and making a movie
Now, these are just ideas that I may or may not do. I would need another lifetime to do them all. But, they all sound interesting to me. Considering my age, I mainly plan to build the foundation for when I get infirm so that I can die with “vine leaves in my hair”. aka Eilert Løvborg. (“Hedda Gabler”) And, learn how to avoid the unpleasant, like demonstrations and wars. Haha. The reality is – I DON’T KNOW WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN OR WHAT I WILL DO! I want to give it a try.
I plan to keep writing small tidbits on this blog. I enjoy it and people seem to like it, too. I now have had 6,836 visitors from all over the world and over 35,500 views. That is amazing to me. Especially when I really just ramble most of the time. Anyway, thanks for listening. Stay tuned……
No memes. No photos. Simply sending love to all of you, and hopefully providing some inspiration.